Monday, July 11, 2011

Judgy Wudgy was a bear...

Yes, I stole that title from Sex and the City.

I am a firm believer that every parent is just doing the best that he/she can.  No one is a super mom/dad.  But for some reason, it seems like new moms (I'm sure dads do it too, but moms sure are more vocal about it) always have an opinion about what other moms are doing right or wrong. 

I think that every mom has been the victim of this.  Last week, a mom gave me a strange look when I told her that Evie will be 1 at the end of the month.  She was holding her 9 month old daughter, who was much larger than Evie, and said, "You're kidding!  Don't you feed her?"  I know that she meant this as a joke, but part of me really wanted to say, "Oh, that's why she's only in the 30th percentile!!!  Of course, I'll start feeding right away!" 

Just like we've all been victims, we've all probably been guilty a few times too.  I will admit that I am not in any way a germ-a-phobe, and I chuckle to myself when I see a mom feverishly wiping down a shopping cart before she puts her kid in it.  She's probably thinking I'm pretty gross when I buckle Evie up, and just walk into the store...I guess we're even.

Sometimes I wish that I hadn't read anything while I was pregnant or since Evie was born.  I truly think that every parent eventually figures out what works for them and their child, and some of that reading/internet research/advice just gets in the way.  I've been working really hard to become more confident in my own abilities as a mom so that I'm not a victim to the judgy people out there.  And when I'm feeling especially judgy, I remind myself that we're all just trying to get by. 

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Most of us are doing the best we can. Good post. I have to tell you that I used to think that shopping cart overs were sort of ridiculous until my husband showed me a study that found e.coli on 50% of shipping carts. James has a decked out shopping cart cover now :)

basebell6 said...

amen sister!!!

Brooke said...

I so completely agree! I wrote a post similar to this 2 weeks ago. I feel the same about judging and about reading!!!

New follower from Toddle Along Tuesday. I'd love a follow back

http://brookiesbabybargains.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Wow, i needed to read this today!! it's all so true. looking forward to reading more :)

following you back :-D

http://betweenthechaos.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!