M and I have been talking for quite a while about moving. We live about 25 minutes from the town where I teach, and about 35 minutes from where M works. I never thought that I would want to live in the same town as I teach, but it seems awfully convenient these days. If we moved to "school town," M's commute would also be shorter by about 10 - 15 minutes.
"School town" is VERY small; the population is around 2000. I've taught there for almost 7 years, and I feel like a townie. I run into people I know every where I go. I love the sense of community, but I don't want my students (or their parents) to catch me buying tampons (or copious amounts of wine/liquor) at the grocery store.
Then there's where Evie would attend school. Our current town has a great school system. I know that she would receive a good education here. School town also has great schools (ahem..I work there! j/k), but I would eventually have Evie in class. I make up 3/4 of my department. (The other teacher teaches Spanish half of his day, and social studies the other half.) If my teaching assignment remained unchanged, I would have Evie in 7th - 10th grades....just about the time she'll probably want nothing to do with me.
However, these cons are outweighed by the fact that gas prices keep rising, and more than anything, M and I are just sick of the drive. We would have a greater network of people that we can count on in school town. My students provide endless babysitting, and I'm very close to many of the other teachers who live there.
In the wake of other big changes in our life, I think it's time to make this big change too. We're not in any hurry, but we're going to begin exploring our options to sell our house, and **hopefully** build a house in the town where I teach. Even if we moved after Evie began kindergarten, Wisconsin allows "school choice" so that she could attend my district while we still lived in our current district.
Leaving our current town will not be easy. M and I have lived here almost our entire married life together. But, I'm happy that we've made this decision. Any bumps in the road will be worth the convenience, and especially worth the extra support of living closer to good friends.