Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Biggest Surprise of My Life

I wasn't feeling well at the beginning of last week.  I was achy, nauseous, and had no appetite.  I am a married woman of child-bearing age, so co-workers, my babysitter, etc. all asked (in a hushed voice, like I would tell them the truth), "You're not pregnant, are you???"

I told them all no.  If I was really pregnant, I would have hidden any symptoms that I was experiencing.  I kept quiet about my pregnancy with Evie until I was about 12 weeks along, and I had morning sickness with her too.  If I really thought I was pregnant, I would have sucked it and not let anyone know that I felt like crap.

Of course I was thinking, "There's no way I could be pregnant."  But enough people got in my head.  Plus, I was kind of lazy about my birth control over the last year month, so in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't entirely irrational.  I was supposed to get my period on Monday, right??  I told myself, "Doesn't matter."  My cycle has been completely wonky since I was pregnant with Evie.  Pregnancy, followed by 16 months of breastfeeding have taken their toll on my usual regularity.

Last Wednesday evening I decided to rule out the possibility.  I was shocked when it a plus sign appeared on the pregnancy test.

Shocked is actually an understatement.  Whatever shocked times 10 million would be, that's what I was.  Even as I write this, I'm still in disbelief.  Even though I've thought about Evie being an only child, M and I probably would have decided to have another, and I imagine we would have started trying in the next year, but this is not how we planned.  

It took about 24 hours for me to completely calm down.  I flipped out to M, and to a couple of my closest girlfriends at school.  They helped a lot. I am becoming more excited each day now that the surprise has worn off a bit.  We get to choose names again.  I get to feel a little baby kicking me from the inside again.  We get to go to ultrasounds and this time we're definitely finding out the gender!!  And best of all, I get to cuddle with a little newborn baby again. 

So, here I am at 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant.

In all my bloat-tastic glory. 
Life rarely goes as planned.  :)

11 comments:

basebell6 said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness. When you mentioned a big surprise on Saturday, the first thought that came to my mind was, "She can't be pregnant." Then earlier this week, when you talked about moving, I was sure that was the surprise. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your wonderful surprise!!!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

CONGRATS!!!!

courtney - larking. said...

Congratulations! :) Can't wait to hear more about your soon-to-be bundle of joy.

Nancy said...

Congratulations! :) Evie is going to be a great big sister!

Mary said...

Congratulations!!! That's great news :)

Nikki said...

Thank you all!!! My due date is Nov. 26 according to my LMP. That seems like a LONG time from now, but I'm sure it will be here before we know it!

KG said...

Following from the Finally Friday Blog Hop.
Congrats on your new bundle of joy to be...!

Melissa @ Growing Up Geeky said...

Congratulations, Momma!!

Jen + Jeff said...

Yay! What a fun surprise! Congrats :)

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!