Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dreaming Big

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how we are considering moving to the town where I teach.  We're beginning the process this week!!  We meet with our realtor on Tuesday evening to discuss the possibility of putting our house on the market. 

We are trying to be optimistic, but realistic at the same time, which is pretty much impossible.  We bought our house in the spring of 2006 at the height of the housing bubble...meaning we paid top dollar back then.  Now we are exploring the possibility of selling when prices are at, essentially, rock bottom.  Basic Econ. 101 would dictate that we are doing this all wrong.  Our area of the country was not hit nearly as badly by the recession as the coasts, but when we refinanced last summer, the value of our house had still dropped significantly.  ($30K significantly...SCARY!!!!)  However, we did not have an appraisal, we just used the generic Freddie Mac numbers to save time and money.  We're hoping that an accurate appraisal will be better. 

As much as the possibility of selling is incredibly scary, and not to mention, we can't even sell if we'll lose money, it's so exciting to think about new houses.  In our dreams, we would build a new house.  M has been tirelessly looking at lots for sale, and researching all of the costs involved in building.  He admits that he is a little ahead of himself, but it's just too much fun not to look. 

I'm dreaming too.  I am thinking of how much it would help to have a better support network of my co-workers, many of whom are very close friends, within a few minutes of us.  With another baby on the way, I'm getting a little freaked out.  I think about getting two kids ready for daycare by myself.  (M works 35 minutes from where we currently live...he has to be out the door long before I do most mornings.  If we moved, he would only be 20 minutes from his office.)  I think about how wonderful it would be to not have to pack Evie (and baby #2) in the car for a 25 minute trip every day, how great it would be to have babysitters nearby (one of the perks of teaching high school!). 

It's exciting and scary at the same time.  I've been in ultra-spring cleaning mode all weekend, and we'll have so much more to do if we decide to sell.  I'm sure it will all work out however it's meant to work out.  For now (until Tuesday), my hopes are high!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!