Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tell me I'm crazy

Over then summer I set up homestays for some students from Spain to stay with some of my students here in Wisconsin.  In the process, I met the Spanish students' teacher.  She is a woman who is originally from Wisconsin, who married a Spaniard.  She has lived in Spain teaching English for about 10 years.  She and her husband have two kids who are a little older than Evie. While she was here, she offered a place for me, M, and Evie to stay for a month in Spain next summer. 

I didn't think much of it at the time, but it's been rattling around my brain since August.  I emailed her last week to ask about details, thinking that she probably was just being nice.  On Thursday morning she wrote back with 3 options for homestays for me, M, and Evie, all free of charge.  Our biggest expense would be the plane ticket over....which I could just buy for myself because Evie could still ride on my lap.  Because of his work schedule, there is no way that M could go with us for anything more than a week. 

I'm a world traveler.  I'd go pretty much anywhere I had the opportunity to go. M, on the other hand, is much pickier.  I feel lucky that, in less than 30 years, I've been to 3 continents,  and 7 countries.  He would be content to stay in our little suburb forever. 

It seems like a no-brainer.  Go.  How could I possibly pass up this opportunity?  It's been almost 10 years since I lived in Spain, and if we have another child in the near future, it's very possible that it will be anothter 10 before I have this chance agan.  The problem is that I can't imagine even a week without Evie, how can I ask M for 3- 4 weeks without her??? 

We're discussing it pretty intensively.  I know that there are many difficulties to travelling abroad with a 2 year old.  I'm ready to take them head on if I can have this opportunity.  I just feel so selfish for wanting this so badly.  Tell me I'm crazy, whether it's crazy to pass this up, or crazy to even think I can do this. 



Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!