Monday, October 17, 2011

Mommy Fail(s)

In the past 15 months, I have been involved in several scenarios I never thought possible prior to becoming a parent.  Some of these aren't necessarily "mommy fails," but none of them would have happened if I didn't have a child.
  • The time my *male* principal unlocked and walked into my classroom (which has no windows) while I was pumping.
  • The SECOND time my *male* principal unlocked and walked into my classroom while I was pumping, this time with a *male* student following closely behind him.  (Don't fear for my student,  he saw nothing.  I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on, but I ducked under my desk as soon as I heard the key in the door.  They didn't see anything.)
  • The first time I tried to give Evie a bath.  I didn't have a clue what I was doing.  My sister was kind enough to help me out by taking pictures of what was supposed to be a relaxing bath. 
You can 't see it here, but she was screaming the whole time.
She was only a few days old, and I was pretty sure that I had scarred her for life.
  • The two times I brought Evie to Urgent Care (or called the nurse on-call line) because she was being SUPER fussy and I just needed to know that it wasn't anything serious.  Yeah, I overreact sometimes.  
  • The time I was changing Evie's poopie diaper in the restroom at a department store.  My sister was with me, and we were joking around saying things like, "Evie, oh my god.  That's awful.  Uuugghhh!!!"  When we walked out, we found out at everyone at the service desk right outside of the bathroom could hear us, and they were all staring at us.  (Yes, this just happened yesterday.)
Overall, I don't think I've done too many ridiculously stupid things since I've been a mom, nothing too serious anyway. My greatest shortcomings are mostly related to me not trusting my own instincts.  I'm a second-guesser to the core.  Having a child challenges my second-guessing nature on a daily basis.  I have learned to go with the flow and trust my gut a little more in the past year, but I think it's going to take a lifetime for me to truly figure it out.

4 comments:

Angie said...

While I haven't had the pumping "fails" you've had, I have certainly had my fair share of other child-related embarassing moments...especially while changing diapers in public!

Following you from TAT! Go Pack!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to admit our "fails"! Many more to come for us all!

Melissa @ Growing Up Geeky said...

Uggh the pumping ones horrify me! Sorry!

Amy G said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I've been following TATs for the past few weeks and was excited to join the fun!

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!